Our cookies help us:
- Make our website work as you’d expect
- Improve the speed/security of the site
- Allow you to share pages with social networks like Facebook
- Continuously improve our website for you
- Make our marketing more efficient (ultimately helping us to offer the service we do at the price we do)
- Collect any personally identifiable information (without your express permission)
- Collect any sensitive information (without your express permission)
- Pay sales commissions
You can learn more about all the cookies we use below
Third party Cookies
- YouTube – powers the videos on our site.
- ShareThis – So you can easily like or share our content on the likes of Facebook and Twitter we have included sharing buttons on our site.
The privacy implications on this will vary from social network to social network and will be dependent on the privacy settings you have chosen on these networks.
Anonymous Visitor Statistics Cookies
Google Analytics cookies: _utma, _utmb, _utmc, _utmz
- Purpose: To record how many people are using the website and how they move around the site once they’ve arrived:
- _utma tracks how many times (if any) you have visited the BIS website before.
- _utmb and _utmc are connected, and track how long you stay on the site.
- _utmz tracks identifies where you’ve come from e.g. from a search engine or from another website.
- Data stored by cookies: No personal information about you, just information about your computer and your browser.
- Duration of cookies:
- _utma: Expires 2 years after your last visit to this site.
- _utmb: Expires 30 minutes after your visit, or after 30 minutes of inactivity.
- _utmc: Expires when you close your browser.
- _utmz: Expires 6 months after it was last set.
You may notice that sometimes after visiting a site you see increased numbers of adverts from the site you visited. This is because advertisers, including ourselves pay for these adverts. The technology to do this is made possible by cookies and as such we may place a so called remarketing cookie during your visit. We use these adverts to offer special offers etc to encourage you to come back to our site. Don’t worry we are unable to proactively reach out to you as the whole process is entirely anonymised.
Turning Cookies Off
You can usually switch cookies off by adjusting your browser settings to stop it from accepting cookies (Learn how here). Doing so however will likely limit the functionality of our’s and a large proportion of the world’s websites as cookies are a standard part of most modern websites